Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Experiment Continues - Day 3

I woke up cranky today.  For one, the evil kitten woke me up several times last night and then decided to wrestle Mosquito (our other cat, who is practically a saint compared to his tiny minion) directly outside the bedroom door.  Three floors at her disposal, and right outside our door is where she chose to start a cat fight.  Awesome.  It's also cold and rainy outside and rather gloomy.  So, since cooking something new usually works to make me feel better, I decided to make applesauce today.  I had the necessaries on hand and it makes your kitchen smell all autumny and homey, so I got to work.  Plus, I really want to make apple cinnamon swirl pancakes tomorrow morning to go with my newly purchased maple syrup.

Natural Apple Sauce - makes about 2 cups

About 5 or so apples - I used homegrown fujis
A couple of tablespoons of agave nectar (or honey)
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 lemon, juiced

Chop your apples up into pieces about 1 inch in size.  You'll want to discard the cores, but leave the skins on.  Once they're all done, dump everything into a pot, put about 1 - 1.25 cups of water in there and boil them until the apples are tender, about 15 minutes or so.  The apples give off some juice of their own, so don't worry if the water seems a little shallow.  Once the apples are tender, discard the cinnamon stick and let everything cool off for about 20 minutes.  Finally, use an immersion blender (or a regular blender) to blend everything to your desired texture.  Enjoy the lovely smell in your kitchen.

As for dinner last night, the vegan mac and "cheese" turned out really well.  I didn't have any tahini, which the recipe calls for, so I left it out, and I added a bit more salt than was called for, but it was really good.  Even Max thought so.  My dad is still dubious, as he says that Max has a vested interest in keeping me happy, but as a cheese loving woman I was quite pleased with the results.  Here's the link for the recipe if I left it out yesterday.  Angela from Oh She Glows calls it "Healthy Comfort Food," which it certainly is.  I had some leftovers for lunch today with a few spoon fulls of almond milk to make it creamier and it was even better the next day.

In other news, Max inflicted some cruel and unusual punishment on me yesterday when we went out for a drink.  I have a thing for cheese in general, and I LOVE cheese fries.  Love them.  Especially bar food cheese fries with malt vinegar on top, enjoyed with a good beer.  So that's what he ordered, along with a cheese steak.  And then proceeded to eat them while I looked on, practically drooling because I wanted some so so much.  But hey, if I can resist that temptation, I should be okay for the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment