Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 2 - My Stomach Hurts

I don't know what it is, maybe too much kale?  Maybe a bit too much wine last night?  Maybe I didn't get enough sleep because of the small, evil kitten?  Who knows, but I woke up with the worst stomachache this morning, and I had a meeting to go to at 10:00.  Not my favorite combo, since I just wanted to go back to sleep.  The experiment must go on, however, so I just had a green monster to try to get rid of any possible wine hangover, a little bit of coffee, and some peppermint tea to calm the stomach.  I'm going to go with ginger tea next, since ginger helps everything.  If you're ever feeling gross, just put some fresh ginger into a tea strainer, let it seep for about 5 minutes, and add some honey (or agave nectar if you want to veganize).  It helps almost immediately and is really comforting to boot.

Anyway, dinner last night went swimmingly.  The recipe, as I said, comes from Vegan Yum Yum, and has some good tips for getting fried tofu to actually act fried, rather than the generally floppy texture that I always end up with.  I think the cast iron pan was key, but holy smoky kitchen.  Due to the marinade smoking up half the house, my clothes and hair smelled like a Chinese restaurant when I was done.  The dish was super good though, and I had some leftovers for lunch today, along with another scone.

Well hello there kale.  Are you the reason I have a rumbly in my tumbly?

Dinner tonight is sort of a gamble.  I'm going to try to make vegan mac and cheese with, obviously, no real cheese in sight.  The recipe is from one of my new fave blogs, Oh She Glows, and her recipe looks really tasty, but I'm still a little sketched out by the idea of using nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute.  Sounds tasty, right?  Anyway, details and photos to come tomorrow.  For now I'm off to make some ginger tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment