Sunday, November 14, 2010

V-Day, or Day One of the Vegan Experiment

Today (Sunday): Day 1 of the experiment commences.  For breakfast I had a Green Monster smoothie.  Mine was composed of 2 big handfuls of spinach, 1/2 cup of pomegranate lime juice, 1 cup strawberries, and 1 cup of almond milk.  Oh, and I had coffee with almond milk too.  Lunch was some peanut noodles with broccoli that I cooked on Friday night.  Soooo good.  Here, have a recipe:

Peanut Noodles
One pound whole wheat pasta
1/2 jar natural peanut butter (must be natural, otherwise it comes out not only un-vegan but kind of gross)
Juice of 4 limes
1/4 cup-ish of soy sauce
1/2 bottle of tabasco or sriracha to taste (must be either one of these or, as the creator of the recipe says, "your noodles will taste like ass")
4 inches grated ginger
Rice vinegar and veggie oil to thin as needed
Bunch of broccoli
1-2 blocks firm tofu
Cilantro garnish, if you feel like it

Put all sauce ingredients together and cook them over low heat until homogenized
Cook pasta
Cook broccoli
Chop up tofu and toss in the sauce
Mix together and eat

Simple, right?  And so tasty.  It's Max's favorite food.  And now, on to the baking.  I wanted to do it all at once so that everything was simple and laid out for the week.  On today's agenda: sandwich rolls, whole wheat pizza dough, and ginger chocolate chunk scones (I'm excluding the pizza dough from photos/recipes since I'm not actually making the pizza for a day or two and the recipe is pretty standard).

Whole Wheat Sandwich Rolls
The recipe for these comes from A Bread A Day.  I changed a couple of things, like subbing raw sugar for both the refined sugar and the brown sugar.  For the "brown sugar," I mixed the raw sugar with a little agave nectar and figured it would work just fine.  Who says baking is a science?  The rolls came out pretty well, not as puffy as I thought they would be, but otherwise just fine for my purposes.

See?  Sort of thin, but I think their color complements my table nicely.

Ginger Chocolate Chunk Scones
The recipe for these babies comes from The Post Punk Kitchen, an awesome source all around for vegan recipes.  Plus, the recipe for these in particular is sort of hilariously written.  They are SO good.  I ate one with "butter" as my afternoon snack.  I did use unsweetened chocolate, because I was under the impression that vegans don't eat refined sugar due to the refining process.  As such, they aren't sweet, but they are super tasty.
The scones, hanging out outside, because that's totally normal.
Scones, ready for their close up.


As you can imagine, my kitchen was sort of destroyed after this baking extravaganza.  I cannot bake and be clean at the same time.  I'm no Martha Stewart.  My stuff tastes damn good though, which is the whole point.  For dinner tonight I'll be making pan fried tofu with kale and stir fried noodles from Vegan Yum Yum.  I'll try to get a good picture, but my kitchen isn't so good with the light after the sun goes down, so no promises.

My kitchen, totally destroyed.  There's more, but I can't work the panorama on my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment